Monday, January 18, 2010

The magic cake....part five


Just call me "Mommy", we've got a court date!!


Hey Everybody,
(start humming the theme song to "Gilligans Island", okay?)

Now sit right back and you'll hear a tale
A tale of a magic cake.
That started the insanity
Of this trip we're about to take.

The Mom was a mighty pedi nurse,
The Daddy, brave and strong.
For twenty two months they've been struggling
Way too darn long.... way too darn long.

The household started getting tense
Their hearts were bruised and sad
Then came a middle-of-the-night phone call
With news Oh so glad.... news Oh so glad.

No forms! No deeds! No apostilles!
Not a single notary!
Like Ward and June and Beaver,
A family they would be.

They're leaving on a big airplane
For court the twenty first
So keep them in your prayers my friends,
For the best, not the worst.....

Whew!! I don't think I can do much more!! Besides, I sort of lost the focus of the story of the cake, didn't I? So here's what happened.... Wednesday was little guys first birthday and we were just sick missing it, imagining the big NOTHING that was going on for him over there. So we decided to celebrate in absentia. We bought the cutest little cake and a single candle, but when the time came I just couldn't sing Happy Birthday without crying. So we blew out the candle together and made a wish.

Four hours later I wake up standing beside my bed... wondering why in the heck I'm awake. Then I realize it's the phone... Of course I'm thinking someone's dead or injured (good nurse that I am) and answer with a concerned, but groggy, "Hello". Then came the most beautiful words ever spoken "Hi Kim! We've got your release letter!" She then proceeded to ask if I thought we could be there for court in a week. WHAT THE F....? Okey, dokey baby... we're there!!

Anyway, long story short (too late, I know) we spent all day yesterday frantically arranging travel, visas and final apostilles. Somehow in three days, I have to clean my entire house, get my roots touched up, finish baby-proofing, pack our bags for what could be a 10 day or a 24 day trip in weather ranging from 30-60 degrees, make doggy care plans, get my car seats installed, finish the five different household projects we started to distract ourselves from the stress of waiting, pick up my pediatrician letters and dry cleaning.... OH MY GOD!!! What am I doing on here making up songs? I gotta get a move on!!

A final note, you just never know when some birthday wishes are going to come true... in a big way.

Much love my friends, I'll see you when I get back!!

Kim

And here's a photo of the magic cake!!








1 comment:

  1. Hi Kim & Lance! I LOVE this post! Absolutely hilarious and a tear jerker all at the same time.

    I've been following your blog for awhile but this is my first comment (I think). My husband & I went through CSS to adopt our son from Moscow in 2008. We're so excited about your upcoming trip 1! I know you've received a lot of tips from other CSS families but we're here also if you have any questions.

    GOOD LUCK!
    Karyn, Norm & Cubby

    ReplyDelete