Saturday, January 23, 2010

I have a confession...

I do not understand the World Wide Web and how it relates to my computer... the whole language of LAN, RAM, ISP, etc. quite frankly baffles me.  I know I own a Mac laptop, and that it has a pretty, shiny red cover.  I know that I don't have it connected to anything because we have something called an "Airport Express".  I know that when I turn it on, it automatically does everything I require of it without my asking. That is all I know.

If I take my pretty, shiny red Macbook with me to Russia, will it work there?  Do I have to tell it to do something special, or will it understand where it is?  Does it matter where it is?  Will my iGoogle page and my blog work over there like they do here?  If I can't access my email, weather page and my horoscope, I may likely stop breathing.  What if someone tags me in a photo on Facebook?  I would have to wait an entire week to know it!

We are renting an apartment with Peace Travel... they have free internet.  Will it like my Mac?  So many things don't.  Do I have to bring a cable to connect it to the internet, or should I be able to find some WiFi connection somewhere?  Is WiFi the same in Russia as it is here?  There must be a reason it's called the World Wide Web, right?

I bought the Mac because my brother in law Dave said I had to.  He said it was "vastly superior" to other computers.  All I know is that I had to get used to closing the little windows on the other side, and that when I turn it on it makes the same sound that WALL-E does in the movie.  My computer is WAAAAY smarter than I am.

Can someone help me?  I would hate to take my pretty, shiny red Macbook with me to Russia and have it be unhappy there.

My name is Kim, and I am a technological moron.

No comments:

Post a Comment